Jorge Manuel Dos Santos Cardoso
Learning outcomes of the curricular unit:
Objectives: contextualize the sexual violence in a multi factorial perspective, describing its diverse formats, contexts and circumstances of expression; present the main models of cognitions and behaviours of sexual aggressors and sexual violence victims’ dynamics; describe the main methodologies of psychological assessment of both aggressors and victims; present the standard treatment options for sexual aggressors and discuss the recurrence probabilities; present the key strategies of psychological intervention on the sexual violence victims.
Skills: recognise the multi factorial dimension associated with sexual violence; understand the main models of sexual violence dynamics according to both perspectives, aggressor and victim; understand and discuss the potential benefits and limitations of the several assessment strategies applied to aggressors and victims; understand and discuss the main characteristics of the treatment programmes for sexual aggressors with main focus on the cognitive restructuring and recurrence prevention; understand and discuss the major models of intervention with sexual violence victims.
- Sexuality / Clinical Sexology / Forensic Sexology.
- Central aspects of sexual behaviour.
- Sexual violence.
- Sexual aggressors.
- Victims of sexual aggression.
- Albuquerque A (2006) Minorias eróticas e agressores sexuais, Lisboa: Publicações Dom Quixote. ISBN: 972-20-3176-7
- Bancroft J (2009) Human sexuality and its problems, 3rd ed., Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, Elsevier. ISBN: 978-0443051616
- Finkel MA & Giardino MD (2009) Medical Evaluation of Child Sexual Abuse: A Practical Guide, 3th ed., American Academic of Pediatrics. ISBN: 978-1-58110-320-5
- Gannon T, Ward T & Beech A (2007) Aggressive Offender Cognition: Theory, Research and Practice, New York: Wiley. ISBN: 978-0470034019