Criminal Investigation Methodology
Metodologia de Investigação Criminal
António Manuel Duarte Carvalho
Learning outcomes of the curricular unit:
- To know the system of judiciary organization.
- To decide if the process of evidence gathering is according the law.
- To articulate the activity of forensic technician or scientist with that of criminal investigation.
- To know the principles of criminal investigation.
- To know and practice the operational thought.
- To identify the hypothesis of work and establish its order of probability.
- To create mechanisms of validation.
- To validate the sources of information.
- To identify and apply forms of preservation of means of proof.
- To know how to make a report.
- Judiciary organization.
- Crime Law and Police.
- Methodological principles of Criminal Investigation.
- Strategy of investigation.
- Building hypothesis of work.
- Analysing hypothesis.
- Operational thought.
- Methods of criminal investigation.
- Analysis of criminal intelligence.
- Techniques of elaboration of reports.
- Adams T, Smith JM, Webb J & Newberry J (2013) Introducing Forensic and Criminal Investigation, SAGE Publications Ltd, London. ISBN: 978-0-85702-752-8
- Braz J (2009) Investigação Criminal –A Organização, o Método e a Prova. Os desafios da nova criminalidade, Edições Almedina, Coimbra. ISBN: 978-972-40-3979-4
- Braz J (2015) Ciência, Tecnologia e Investigação Criminal, Edições Almedina, Coimbra. ISBN: 978-972-40-5972-3