Forensic Analytical Techniques II
Técnicas Analiticas Forenses II
Alexandre Luís De Matos Botica Cortes Quintas
Learning outcomes of the curricular unit:
This class will concentrate on the advanced techniques used for sampling and sample preparation in forensic sciences and also in the analytical methodologies commonly used in a forensic laboratory. At the completion of the course, a successful student will be able to developed theoretical and practical scientific skills in order to prepare and develop a forensic analysis from sample preparation to the detection and quantification of target compounds using chromatographic, spectrometric, spectroscopy and immunological techniques. Additionally, in this unit, the students must acquire a high level of independence in the laboratory and court testimony of the report.
- Statistics in Forensic Science and PCA.
- Development and application of the methods used in sampling, sample preparation and storage.
- Spectroscopy in forensic sciences.
- Mass spectrometry, X-Ray Fluorescence and isotope ratios.
- Fundamentals and application of Electrophoretic and immunological assays of screening in the field of forensic sciences.
- Bell S (2008) Forensic Chemistry, Pearson International Edition. ISBN: 0321566572
- Skoog D, West D, Holler F & Crouch S (2004) Fundamentals of analytical chemistry, Thomson Brooks/Cole. ISBN: 9780030355233
- Kubic T & Petraco N (2005) Forensic Science Laboratory Manual and Workbook, CRC, Taylor & Francis
- Langford A, Dean J, Reed R, Holmes D, Weyers J & Pearson JA (2005) Practical Skills in Forensic Sciences, Prentice Hall
- Mozazayani A & Noziglia C (2006) The Forensic Laboratory Handbook, Humana Press