Ethics, Communication and Testimony in Court
Ética, Comunicação e Testemunho em Tribunal
Ana Cristina Cardoso Das Neves
Learning outcomes of the curricular unit:
- Communicate information, ideas , problems and solutions to diverse audiences, through oral and written presentation.
- Discuss, evaluating and applying the law to situations of case studies based on real cases.
- Demonstrate communication skills and techniques that facilitate reliable testimony.
- Express clarity, ability to synthesize either in oral or in writing.
- Demonstrate confidence in the use of legal terminology.
- Check the non-verbal communication in stressful situations.
- Use the power of argument in defence of testimony.
- Demonstrate autonomy in ethical decision making.
- Respect the importance of ethical principles and ethical conduct related to its code in different contexts (e.g. research, expert evaluation, presentation of testimony in court and education).
- Demonstrate critical reflexibility within the Ethics.
- Contribute to the quality of services provided by professionals in the forensic and criminal science.
- The terminology used in court.
- The expert and his testimony.
- Theoretical foundations of human communication.
- Non-verbal communication.
- Strategies to manage stress and anxiety in potentially conflicting situations.
- Communicational aspects to consider.
- The codes of ethics of professional forensic and criminal science.
- Ethical dilemmas in forensic and criminal sciences.
- Beauchamp TL & Childress JF (1989) Principles of Biomedical Ethics, Oxford: Oxford. ISBN-10: 0195335708
- Jesus FM (2011) Meios de Obtenção da Prova em Processo Penal, Colecção Monografias, Coimbra: Almedina. ISBN: 9789724044286
- Lazarus R (1999) Stress and emotion - a new synthesis, London: Free Association Books. ISBN: 9780826102614
- Watzlawick P, Beavin JH & Jackson DD (1967) Pragmática da Comunicação Humana, São Paulo: Editora Cultrix. ISBN: 8531603145
- Penteado JRW (1997) A Técnica da Comunicação Humana, 13th ed., São Paulo: Livraria Pioneira Editora. ISBN: 8522100772