Visa and Other Permits

Visa and other Permits

All foreign exchange students coming from Non-EU countries should hold residence visa obtained at the Portuguese Embassy or Consulate in their home country that is good through up to 1 year. This visa can be extended, but it is limited to the period required to complete the programme of studies, research work, traineeship or acquisiton of professional training.

Whenever no control is made at the customs office upon the students arrival in Portugal, these students should go to the Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (Immigration Office)  at the address below, within 3 days after their arrival to make a registration (Entry Statement).

All holders of a Residence Visa should request an appointment at the Immigration Office (SEF) in order to request the Residence Permit.

SEF's Bureau - Study in Lisbon Lounge
Praça Carlos Fabião, Lote 3, Escritório 3
Opening hours: 10h00 -12h30 e 13h30 - 17h00 (tuesdays and thursdays)

As far as students coming from EU Member States are concerned, they are allowed in the country upon the presentation of their valid ID card or passport. When they come from EU Member States, their entry in Portugal is not subject to any control. However, the law states that for stays longer than 3 months these students (coming from any EU Member State or Schengen Country) should request to the Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (in the address quoted above) the card of residence within 3 months after their arrival. All EU citizens are entitled to this card, which is valid for one year and can be extended for equal periods.